Contact

Name

Email *

Message *

Sunday, March 1, 2015

"We Spent Months on Candle Lights"

    I was able to conduct an interview with a man from Aleppo in Syria; a city that has been one of the biggest battlegrounds since the start of the revolution. These do not represent the political views of the blog, I am merely the messenger.
     
     "
     1) How did you feel at the start of the revolution?

From the very beginning I did not fall for the fake calls of freedom and democracy promoted from the dens of “authoritarianism” and “backwardness”; the Gulf states, such as Qatar and Saudi, who fund the likes of Aljazeera and Al-Arabiya, were vigorously optimistic about the concept of ‘the Arab spring’ while these countries, themselves, have the most dictatorial regimes in the whole world. Syria, as any other country in the world, suffered from levels of corruption, but it did not require the likes of a revolution as violent and overwhelming as those of which we had witnessed in Egypt or Tunisia. To make things clearer, for myself who lives in Syria, we started witnessing exaggerations and lies spread by various sources; sometimes even creating events that never happened. I had daily calls and questions from friends abroad asking me how am I doing and I would give the same answer every time: “nothing is happening over here”.
By August 2011, the demonstrations reached my city, Aleppo, on very small scales. But wherever they happened, the people were generally terrified by the provocative calls and actions of the demonstrators who have resorted to various forms of religious shouts from the beginning.  They had also started blocking streets and neighborhoods while forced shop owners to close their shops. At the beginning of 2012, the protesters started getting more aggressive. They began attacking those who asked them to leave their peaceful neighborhoods. They began labeling them as ‘shabeeha’. They began threatening them with death. On several occasions, I witnessed protesters attacking unarmed traffic police; as well as vandalizing public and private property. Later they got very violent; blowing up the shops of anyone who had any Syrian flag, other than that of the FSA, raised outside their shops; or had a picture of the President hung inside. They resorted to fear tactics such as death threats and kidnapping; especially kidnapping children of the wealthy Aleppo bourgeois, most of whom soon fled the country after having paid millions in exchange for their lives and their families.

2) What has it been like in Aleppo for the past couple of months?

The past couple of months have generally been the same since July 2012; when the FSA had invaded half of the city, after cutting off all roads leading to the city that used to be economical center of Syria. Since then, Aleppo has suffered terribly from lack of necessities and services, such as electricity, which NOW barely comes for an hour every 24 hours. Water was also cut off on several occasion by the terrorists in attempt to bargain with the government. Water was also cut off by their infamous subterranean massive explosions that had once led to the complete absence of water all over the city for over two months. On August/Ramadan 2013, the people of Aleppo living in the part under the Syrian government control were under full siege by the various terrorist organizations, such as FSA and Jabhat AlNusra. The siege, which lasted for weeks, prevented anyone from taking food or any products into the part of the city under government control.


3) What was the scariest part/worst experience?

There have been several times where my family and I were in the direct threat of death. When your loved ones are in grave danger, there is no worse feeling. On October 2012, the FSA were very close to my house. I witnessed thousands flee their homes in their pajamas at 6 am with barely anything with the. This was the most terrifying moment in my life. My brother and I went out to the street after hearing gunshots, explosions and tabkeer shouts. The terrorists invaded the adjacent neighborhood after taking over a nearby police station that has been defending the whole area for weeks. I called on relatives to bring their cars and come take the women and children, the valuables, and of course, our papers. I refused to abandon my house knowing that they will loot and burn it, or even use it as a position to hide in, or attack from. A handful of armed residents managed to keep the terrorists away from our neighborhood for a few hours until security forces arrived and pushed them further back. When I recall these incidents today, it all flashes so quickly before my eyes; but back then every second felt like ages. I can still remember how fast my heart was beating when I woke up to the sound of gunshots and takbeers. I can still remember old men, old women and children, crying as they were running to safety. Thankfully we did not lose our house, unlike many unlucky Aleppo residents, and by next morning a group of a couple of hundreds Syrian Arab Army soldiers arrived to our neighborhood and were cheered by all who remained in their homes.

4) Did you ever want to leave?
Yes, on several occasions, mostly from 2013 until summer 2014. There seemed to be no hope back then. Everything was deteriorating on every level. Water would be cut off for days or even weeks. Electricity would be cut off for weeks. We could barely find any fuel in the coldest winter. People started cutting green trees to keep their families warm. We spent months on candle lights, and would only eat whatever we had stocked of rice, lentils, and bulgur.

5) Why did you stay?
For many reasons, mainly because I refuse to be mistreated and humiliated like many Syrian refugees in neighboring countries have been. I would rather stay with my family in these hard times than leave them when they need me most and be humiliated in a refugee camp, or to struggle as a minimum wage slave. I have a roof and walls that shelter me here, and a loving family that I need, as much as they need me. To be honest, if I could afford traveling abroad to live a decent life, I can afford to stay here and live a decent life around my loved ones.

6) What do the people of Aleppo feel at this time?
The majority of those I meet and talk to feel exhausted by the continuous war, they want to return to their normal lives they had before the war. Many also feel heartbroken over severe losses. There is hardly a family in Aleppo that has not been directly affected and has not lost something very precious be it a property or a loved person.

7) Do you have hope for things to get better?

I have experienced several periods of despair throughout this crisis. I have lost so much from the beginning of the events in Syria, starting with my job and not ending with my only brother. On several occasions, I felt broken and hopeless. I cannot forget the cries, the explosions, the destruction and the fear and terror. I have also seen people rise from their misery and distress, find a way to get over their losses and stand on their feet again, rebuild their destroyed homes and shops and start working again. I may be a pessimistic person who has apocalyptic views, but I have learned a lot from my city and my people, I have learned that at all costs I must die fighting, not running. I learned that, hopeful or hopeless, one should always work hard for as long as they live and die fighting, with no regrets.

8) What can people in the West do to help?


The people in the west can, and must, do a lot since it is their governments that have been the main, and worst, cause of the all sufferings in Syria and Middle East, generally. I believe they can start by writing to their representatives in whatever democratic system they claim to have, to lift the harsh and unfair sanctions on Syria. The people of Syria, which used to be one of the main exporters for food in Middle East, now suffer from lack of food as well as fuel and other necessities due to severe sanctions imposed by the USA, the EU and the UK and of course their puppet allies elsewhere. They also should rally to call for their governments to stop meddling around the world and disturbing peace, which has caused the death of millions since Vietnam. I believe that if the people of the west are interested in world peace they should seek serious changes in their governments’ policies in the Middle East as well as elsewhere." -ALEPPO, SYRIA 

No comments:

Post a Comment